Thursday, March 18, 2010

Where to begin?

Well, since I'm waiting on words from USCIS and based on what I've been seeing on visajourney forum (great resource, btw), I won't be hearing from them for at least another week, I figure I might as well go back in time and fill in some background.

Let's see. Where do we begin?

I'm Taiwanese. Born and raised in downtown Taipei. Had a pretty average childhood, I would say. Went through the public school system for elementary school and middle school, and then got into a public magnet high school that's also nearby. All three schools are located within a 10-minute walk from the apartment I grew up in. Then when I graduated from high school, I moved 8,000 miles away to the US for college (more on that later). What I didn't know then in my naivete was that I was leaving the only home that I had ever knew, that I would slowly become used to this new country's way of life, and that one day, I will come to call this new country home.



My husband is a US citizen (obviously - otherwise there would be no blog, and no AOS for me). He was born in the US but his family moved around quite a bit when he was growing up. His parents are also Taiwanese and they actually live a few blocks away from my parents now in Taipei (quite amazing considering it's a city of almost 3 million).

We met in graduate school three years ago. Sort of. It's actually a much more complex story than that and involves quite a few coincidences. More on that later too. (Gotta make sure I have enough material to blog about until I hear back from USCIS, right?)

Our newlywed small group at church is going to start reading this book together: Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs.
Love & Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs
We were hanging out with another couple and they said it's okay (but they admitted that they only got to chapter 2 or something) but another couple absolutely LOVES it. Well, we still gotta go find the book. I look forward to reading it together with my husband and our group though. If anything, these are great conversation starters for our weekly Sunday after church seafood lunch.

Any other good books on marriage that I should look at?

No comments:

Post a Comment